LGA3101 my mind maps collection ....
1. INTRODUCTION TO CHILDREN’S LITERATURE
1.2.1 Defining children’s literature
- consists of written materials which are enjoyed by children
-a way for adult to communicate with children
- an imagination experience process for children
1.2.2 Exploring different genres in children’s literature
- Picture Books (‘visual experiences’ which tell stories with pictures )
- picture story book (contain pictures or illustrations that complement the story)
- traditional literature (stories that are passed down from generation to generation)
- historical fiction (refers to stories portraying a time period in the past)
- modern fantasy (an imaginative tale)
- realistic fiction (stories that are similar to historic fiction, except, these are based on current issues)
- non-fiction or informational books (about real things and provide information)
- biography (true life story)
- poetry (pieces of writing that involve rhythm, rhyme, literary devices and creativity)
1.2.3 Experiencing literature as a transactional process
- a process where meaning are constructed between the reader and the text.
- reader plays a central role in experiencing literature as a transactional process.
- a way to make children connect with the surrounding and environment.
1.2.4 Personal and academic value of literature to children
- to educate children about values
- Personal Value : develop emotional intelligence (self awareness, managing emotion, handling anxiety, motivating themselves, being sensitive)
- Academic Value : learning the target language by reading extensively.
notes sharing by TESL 2